Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Grigory Sokolov

I have to admit that, before 6:30 this morning, I do not recall knowing who Grigory Sokolov is. So, thanks to my wife for setting the alarm clock at 6, and thanks to the University of the District of Columbia for allowing its TV station to air Classic Arts Showcase, when not airing university-directed shows.

Sokolov is a Russian born pianist. He is 56, but he looks 15 years older. I saw him play two pieces by Couperin, and am sorry to say that I did not concentrate on exactly what they were (it was 6 a.m., after all). The video was recorded at a Paris recital, given in 2002.

Sokolov was extraordinary in both technique and musicality. Nothing more to be said. It was exciting watching and listening to him, the way it had been exciting for me to watch or hear Sviatislav Richter.

In the old days, I kept up on classical performers, but the old days ended about 25 years ago, so I don't know any more about Sokolov than I do about The Doors, or U-2.

This is one old interest that I wish I had retained.

No comments: