Saturday, April 22, 2006

I Can't Believe I Read the Whole Thing

All 657 pages of Yale Law School professor Stephen L. Carter's novel, "The Emperor of Ocean Park". But, I did.

The book is not totally uninteresting, but could have been edited down to half its size, and could have lost a third of its characters. The protagonist, Talcott (or Misha, called after Russian chess player, Mikhail Tal) is a law professor, whose father is a bitter, archconservative, African American ex-judge, who dies at the start of the book. The next 600+ pages show how Misha finds out just how bad his father really was, engaging in a conspiracy with a former colleague and present U.S. Supreme Court judge to fix cases for the benefit of large corporations controlled by one, single underworld character.

I can't believe I spent most of my evenings this week with this book.

No comments: