Saturday, April 08, 2006

Play it again, Sam

Here I am sitting in my study with the Comcast Music Channel "Singers and Standards" on in the other room. I can see the TV through the open door, if I look to my right. And I am looking, every time I hear a singer who I think is particularly good (or bad).

So is it me, or the music? They play recordings by both contemporary pop and jazz singers, and those who performed from the 1940s or 1950s forward.

Whenever I hear someone, I don't care for, it turns out to be someone contemporary (with about a 50-50 chance that I know who they are). But when I turn because I think the performer is top notch, it turns out to be Ella Fitzgerald, Rosemary Clooney, Mel Torme, Frank Sinatra, Dinah Washington, Dinah Shore, and even Jaye P. Morgan.

Is it me, or the music?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

it's the music.