Tuesday, May 09, 2006

P.G. Wodehouse, P.G. County (1 cent)

Pelham Grenville Wodehouse did not mind being called P.G. So you can imagine my surprise when I read in the Washington Post Sunday that residents of P.G. County find "P.G." insulting (by Jeeves) and that they want to be known as residents of Prince George's (who is Prince George anyway?). I had no idea.

So, it got me thinking. Residents of Los Angeles say that they live in L.A., and we here in Washington don't mind living in D.C. Even in Kuala Lampur, they say that they live in K.L., as I understand it. But do they say K.C. in Kansas City? (I really don't know) And none of the "San" cities (Francisco, Antonio, Diego) go by S. Anything, do they? And no one in Walla Walla would ever think to say that they live in W.W.

Now people live in Philly and Indi and Cincy, but they don't live in St. Louie, but do in St Pete. And I think they used to live in Frisco, but no more. And they live in Vegas, but not Angeles.

I think P.G. should cool it.

No comments: