Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Starbucks

So, I go into Starbucks. There are some customers sitting at tables, but I am the only one at the counter. There are two young women working there, a cashier and a barista. I order a small cup of black coffee. The cashier tells me it will be $1.60 and I pay her. She then says: what is your name?

I am trying to figure out what difference my name makes, and I ask her: "Do you need to know my name in order to give me a cup of coffee?" "Yes", she says, "what is your name?"

I tell her (naturally) "Arthur". She says "thank you".

In the meantime, the barista, who is standing about 20 inches to the cashier's left, has already poured the coffee. There is still no one else at the counter. The barista looks vaguely at me, as if there is a crowd around me and says, in a voice somewhat to loud: "Arthur?".

I say softly, "That's me".

She hands me the drink.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

that reminds me of "meet the parents" when ben stiller can't board the plane until they let on the first class. and he is the only person waiting.