Sunday, February 04, 2007

Dreamgirls (1 cent)

After watching Dreamgirls last night, I decided to look on the indb site and see what others thought of the movie. Obviously, it has won many awards and been nominated for others, but the reviews that I have seen (not studied, just seen) have not been all that great. So what does the reviewing public think?

Well, it is extraordinary, because the reporting viewers are completely split between those that thought it was just one of the best movies they have seen in a while, and those who thought it was an absolute waste.

It would be interesting to have some sort of a study done of these viewers, to see if those who liked shared any characteristics others with similar feelings about the movie, or whether it was all random.

I fall on the "I really like it" side. I am not sure why, but I did enjoy the music, and thought everyone did a great job. Jennifer Hudson's voice is obviously extraordinary, but there was not one miscasting or subpar performance in the entire cast. Even those who didn't like the movie thought that Eddie Murphy was great, which he was, and no one (for reasons unknown to me) complimented or even mentioned Danny Glover, who I thought was terrific.

It makes you realize how things have changed from the days when it was hard to find experienced African American actors. This is one extraordinary talented and, as Senator Biden would have it, articulate cast.

No comments: