Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Nobody Cares about the Nightingale Papers (11 cents)

No one cares about David Nokes' book "The Nightingale Papers". Including me.

I picked up this recent novel by Kings College Professor Nokes, a prize winning biographer. Perhaps he should stick to biography.

But on the other hand, the book deals with matters that are quite foreign to me. English academia. Welsh poets. English humor.

It is a short novel, centered around a conference of experts in the poetry of a little known Welsh poet. Things happen in this book. There are academic jealousies. There are academic trysts. And there are surprises. And academic deaths.

Unfortunately, the minute I finished the book, I already had forgotten how it ended. Was it determined that the poet's works were really his wife's? Or were they written by one of the acamedicians? Or by the poet himself?

And how did McWhinnie die? And what was the gardener's problem?

I don't remember any of it, except that I do remember that I really don't care.

Is there any reason that there have been virtually no sales of this book the U.S. of A.?

No comments: