Saturday, July 30, 2005

Wiggins Ozark Camp (Part two of two) [6 cents]

I looked up Wiggins Ozark Camp on the web, and found only one entry, on a map of Lesterville MO, prepared by the federal agency, it shows, among many other things, the Wiggins Ozark Camp Dam. I think it is this dam that blocked the water in the man-made lower lake, and I think that there was a connection between the lake and the pool below. I have no idea what one would find there now.

I am trying to remember my activities at camp. You would think that would be easy, but it isn't. I remember two activities fairly vividly: horseback riding and Black River float trips. I remember the pool, but not really what I did there. I remember very little about being on the lake, and even less about the arts and crafts. I remember a lot of time talking to my fellow campers, and remember that one of the counsellors like to tell ghost stories, that to me were very scary. (Like the one where someone found a leg under their covers, and their hair turned white immediately).

Oh, yes, I remember the Sunday morning non-denominational religious services outside at a place with benches and a little stage. I remember we used to say the lord's prayer, which I of course refused to say, and I remember a discussion with Wiglet, where I told her that the service was not non-sectarian because they said the lord's prayer. She said that Jesus' name was not in the lord's prayer, so it was all right. I looked at her like she must be a little nuts, and said, but Jesus said the lord's prayer! It was a stand-off. I know they were trying to be non-sectarian. I would guess that the camp (like every camp, school, office, etc. that I have ever been in) wasa 1/3 Jewish or so, but the Wiggins taught in Kirkwood, and Kirkwood had nobody Jewish in it, I was sure of that, and therefore was as far away from my personal experience as Bangladesh (which of course did not exist at the time), so what did they know?

The horses were where I spent most of my time. I think we were pretty free to choose activities. I actually remember the horses better than the people. There was Misty, tan with a dark mane, Sunset, red with a blond mane, Red, all red, Dan and Charlie, both old and dappled white, Fire (who I thik looked like Red), and that is about as far as I can go. We rode, saddled and bridled the horses, fed them, kept them groomed, kept the stables sort of clean, and so forth. Although my experience on run-away Misty (reported earlier) was not confidence inspiring, I actually became a fairly good rider and was very comfortable on horses. We rode western, and had a lot of territory to traverse, including fields, trails, hills, valleys, creeks and everything else you could imagine. Even abandoned farms and roads. I think rides usually went one or two hours. We went back behind the barn, through another gate, passed the upper lake (which I think was natural) and then usually got our choice where we wanted to go. We walked, we trotted, we cantored. We never seemed to have an accident or get hurt. (One time, I did fall into a creek when my horse was drinking, and took a strange and unexpected turn, but it was a hot day, and all was well.)

I had mentioned in the last post that if you kept on the road past the camp, you were on your way to Johnson Shut-in State Park. This is still a state park, and was a place where the river (maybe the Black) pocketed so you could climb over rocks and see pools between the rocks where the water wound up, and could jump in and swim and so forth. Hard to explain (largely, because hard to remember). We would go there once in a while in the camp bus. On the way, we would see C.R. Burroughs.

Every term (that is, twice a summer), we would take an overnight (maybe two nights for the older kids) float trip down the Black River. Sort of lazy floats, where we would talk, swim, fish, cook food over open fires, and sleep in sleeping bags (no tents on the rock banks of the river. I think there were also some trips on the Current River, which had more flow to it, but I never went on them, and maybe there weren't any. We also went on canoe trips on the Black, and that was great fun, because of the easy rapids, and the deep pools. After doing the floats and canoe trips a few times, you got to know the river, and what to expect around the next bend. It was rare that we saw any other people on these trips. I am not sure what it would be like today.

After I stopped going to Wiggins, my horseback riding waw very sporadic. But as long as I was in St. Louis, I would go on Current, Black or White River canoe trips. It has been a long time, though.

I was thinking about my friend, Danny, and I thought maybe he was only there the first year I went. I am not sure. And maybe we discovered that we really weren't good friends when we were there, because I don't remember much about us together. I remember other kids, such as Harold, who was sort of a practical joker, much better. And David and Steve from Evansville. And Ron, who later had a nervous breakdown at Swarthmore and has not been the same since.

I do remember once walking by the lower lake with Danny, and he said something to me that, even as a 12 year old, or so, I thought too profound for my meager brain. He said, "Arthur, you know, when people meet us, they have no idea how smart we are. It's really great. We just don't look smart."

This actually caused shivers to go down my spine. I had always thought myself to be pretty smart. Now I knew that I didn't look smart to other people and particularly, Danny, who knew me better than anyone else didn't think I appeared smart. And if I wasn't smart, what was I? And what was the purpose of being smart, if others didn't think you were smart?

Maybe this is when I decided Danny and I were not meant for each other.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Minnesota Futurists / Swift Trust FAQ
During Summer-1961,
my high school physics teacher (Coach Emil Wiggins) challenged me to help guide Ozark Camp John Boat float trips on East Fork of the Black River ...

http://minnesotafuturists.pbworks.com/Swift-Trust-FAQ

Unknown said...

The dam created a stocked small bass pond where Wig fly-fished. My collateral duty was to run a baited trot-line to harvest catfish & snapping turtles.

The swimming pool was fed by a very cold natural spring. Pam Kruger was the pool program co-director and I monitored our pool water quality.

Unknown said...

>> Every term (that is, twice a summer), we would take an overnight (maybe two nights for the older kids) float trip down the Black River. Sort of lazy floats, where we would talk, swim, fish, cook food over open fires, and sleep in sleeping bags (no tents on the rock banks of the river. <<

We usually spotted overhanging grape vines from tree branches for swimming holes during these float trips ... We'd sometimes rig a tarp against our over-turned flat-bottomed john boat as our overnight shelter if rain seemed likely ...

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Corrected URL:
Accession Number : ADA105305


Title : National Dam Safety Program. Wiggins Ozark Camp Dam (MO 30026), White Basin, Reynolds County, Missouri. Phase I Inspection Report.

Unknown said...

Corrected URL:
3D Google Earth map of area around Wiggins Ozark Camp
Dam, Missouri.

http://gmap3d.com/?s=MO&d=763596&f=dam

Unknown said...

#
Wiggins Ozark Camp Dam
Wiggins Ozark Camp Dam is on a tributary of Mid Fork Black River in Reynolds County, Missouri and is used for recreation purposes. ...

drqwac@wildblue.net said...

Wig was my physics teacher, track and cross country coach at Kirkwood HS. The summer of my grad Bob Press and I were camp counselors. Bob did sports and I did fishing, canoeing, shooting, and some horseback riding.
I fiber glassed the two canoes. The float on the Black River, normally an overnight, was done in a day as the river was so low we couldn't haul all necessary eqpt. We poled and paddled like heck and got to the take out point 2 hrs early so I napped while the kids caught frogs. I guaranteed every kid I taught would catch a fish and never failed. Pay for the summer with bonus was %225.00.

Judy Waggoner Perry said...

I am Judy Waggoner Redman Perry. I Recently found this blog and have loved reading about all you Wiggins Campers! I was a camper and then a counselor in the late 40's and early 50's. My brother was Lyle Waggoner, who recently passed away. He was 2 years younger than I. My sister Kendall has given you her experience in Part 1 of this blog. My other brother, Owen Waggoner, and my sister, Kitsy Waggoner Gray also went to Wiggins for several years each. My children Ginger Redman Charles and Lee Redman also went to Wiggins for several years. I was the riding counselor at Wiggins. One year all the girls rode far out on the trails and put together a show of formation riding and surprised the camp! It was so much fun and the girls really learned how to handle their horses. I remember horses named Dot, Fire, Red and the horse name Mouse was originally my own horse that I gave to the camp when I went to college. After my first husband died I was married to a wonderful man, Duane Perry. We did lots of traveling, and on one of our trips we stopped in Kirkwood to visit Sue Wiggins and her husband Nolan Stivers. Sue and Duane and I took a trip back to Wiggins, then Sherwood Forest. I had been a pretty fair artist drawing horses, and I had painted horses on all the walls in the dining room Lodge. Sorry to say they had all been painted over. I remember so much singing! My favorite was "Bill Grogan's Goat" Laura Stivers Malone: I hope you read this and let your wonderful Mother know how much I would love to hear from her. I lost track of her after she moved from Kirkwood. My sweet Duane passed away Oct 2017. I know live in Ashland, KY next door to my daughter Ginger Charles and her husband. I am now 87 years young! God bless you all for your memories!

Anonymous said...

I was there in 1968 during my Wydown Jr High years. I remember big ol Wig, little Wiglet and pretty Sue. Other memories include the Polar Bear day in the pool. I think it it wasnt cold enough Wig would put blocks of ice in the pool. The horseback rides/trails were fabulous. My two favs were Misty and Princess Pat. Unfortunately, Misty (or was it Pat?) decided she didn't like the rider (me) so decided to go off trail on the downward slope and rub me off against the trees. Ouch. Didnt fall off, but was kind of embarassed.

The movies on Sat night were fun. I would go to the Canteen to get a ZERO bar and a coke. Still like ZERO bars.

I miss the old place and so glad to have found this site to stir up some memories in this old 65 yr old guy.

Anonymous said...

Is this site still active