Tuesday, February 14, 2006

I Don't Care About Marjorie Merriweather Post (11 cents)

I just read Nancy Rubin's biography of this overly rich, haughty, very boring individual. I just don't care about her.

The most interesting parts of the book where the stories about her father (the Post of Post Toasties) and the growth of the health food/cereal empires of Battle Creek Michigan, and about her third husband, Joseph Davies, who was ambassador to the USSR (and to Belgium and Luxembourg) right before WWII. Davies believed in befriending the Soviets as a counterweight to the Nazis, and was very anti-isolationist.

The dullest parts of the book were about Marjorie, her first husband (who through his second marriage was Glenn Close's grandfather), her second husband E.F. Hutton, and her fourth husband Herb May. I was interested in reading about Hillwood, and less interested in the goings on in Palm Beach before it was Palm Beach when Marlago was first being built.

At any rate, I found her shallow and uninteresting. I also don't think that Nancy Rubin did much to make her more appealing to her readers.

No comments: