Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Act of God and OJ

Looking out this morning after the season's first measurable snowfall, you can see white covering the lawns and the branches of the trees. Very nice. But the streets stayed clear of snow and even the walkway to the driveway was basically clear, with only small patches of snow here and there.

Why was it, therefore, that the two cars in the driveway were totally covered (like top to bottom, side to side, front to back) by about four inches of packed snow on top of about a quarter of an inch of ice?

You can look at it in one of two ways, each starting from the basic premise, which I think that I learned I law school, that any natural tragedy or any inclement weather is an "act of God". OK, I will accept that for now.

If so, would former Israeli Sephardic chief rabbi Ovidiah Joseph (hereinafter called "OJ") conclude that God put four inches of snow on both cards as a punishment, if not for me, for the reincarnated souls of dead Jews that I carry around (after all, this is what he said about Holocaust victims), or perhaps as a punishment from me because I don't spend all my time studying Torah (after all, this is what he said about Katrina victims)?

Or, looking at the more positive side of things, is it possible that God put 90% of the snow that fell around our house on our cars because he wanted to be certain that I got sufficient upper body exercise this morning?

OJ?



No comments: