Thursday, December 08, 2005

From the Sublime to the Ridiculous

Tuesday, at lunch, I went to back to Grace Episcopal Church, for their weekly music program, this one featuring the Washington Bach Consort. The program was very enjoyable - a lengthy organ solo, followed by a melodic contata that I did not recognize, "Es ist dir gesagt, Mensch, was gut ist".

What surprised me was the size of the audience. When I went to the piano solo last week, I would guess that there were between 100 and 150 people there, which I thought was a respectable group. Yesterday, the church was filled with what I estimate to be 500-600 people. I was led to the balcony, coming in a little late, which had about 150 sitting (or standing) there.

The Consort had 11 singers, and 11 instrumentalists, plus the conductor, J. Reilly Lewis. I believe that it performs with more musicians in some of its other venues.

That evening, we went to the (formerly British) Embassy Players' winter panto, "Babes in the Woods", featuring Michelle as a very pretty Maid Marion. Slapstick comedy all the way, it was ridiculous in the best of senses, just as it set out to be. It plays all this week at the Kensington Armory, through Sunday matinee.

No comments: