Wednesday, September 13, 2006

An idea for the Bush administration (3 cents)

I went to a soprano/piano concert yesterday at Epiphany Church. The performers were both Levine School faculty members with impressive resumes. When I looked at the program, I was intrigued because I had no familiarity whatsoever with the music. It was all by an American composer, now 55 years old, named Libby Larsen, and the program consisted of 17 songs (from various cycles) about the American west, a substantial number of which were based on the writing of Edith Wharton.

The soprano had a very unusual voice. It was a husky soprano voice. The pianist was terrific.

The music was very twentieth century. Which means that, on first hearing, for me it was totally meaningless. Perhaps if I heard it several times, I would feel differently, but I was quite uncomfortable throughout the concert (with only occasional moments of relief) .

How to explain it: try rap music, sung by an operatic soprano with a husky voice, with only piano accompaniment, and no rhythm at all. Does that make sense?

Then it occurred to me, and this is my idea for the Bush administration. Maybe let the prisoners sleep four or five hours in silence but otherwise play a recording of this concert (at a volume a little too loud) into each cell. Can this be criticized?

No comments: