Sunday, September 24, 2006

My Two Commentors

I like getting comments, and usually don't think that they need a response, but the two comments I received on my posting about Hugo Chavez and Noam Chonsky must be answered.

First, to Francmasse: My short blog was not meant to be a detailed socio-political analysis, but rather a little satire or comedy. Francmasse appears not to be able to recognize either. It is a little odd, isn't it Francmasse, that someone who is so anti-American and anti-Jewish proves his position by citing an American Jew? No irony there? It happens all the time, largely because Jews are not monolithic and have opinions of all varieties, and because they often tend not to be shy about expressing them.

As to the contents of what Chomsky says, this was not the subject of the posting. I don't think you can read my post and learn whether or not I am a Chomsky expert, or someone who never heard of him, or what I think of his opinions. As a matter of fact, I agree with a large amount of what Chomsky says. Unfortunately, he is a pedant and like most pedants (even brilliant ones), he often appears only to see one side of many sided issues.

As to Shahidon, who seems to believe that I am hopelessly immature for not realizing that people don't have to be anti-Jewish to be anti-Israel, in fact I usually argue that side of the position; I believe there are many people who detest Israeli policies (as they understand them), and who have nothing against Jews or Judaism, and may not even know anything about Judaism.

But, Shahidon, your views are misplaced when it comes to Chavez. Far from limiting his comments to Israeli policy, Chavez in building his populist image in Venezuela has lashed out against those elements of the Venezuelan population which he views to be too liberal, too internationalist, too wealthy and too intellectual and, as a part of this, he has singled out Jews and Jewish organizations for unbelievably harsh treatment. He is playing the old political game of trying to build anti-Jewish feelings amongst the people as a way of identifying an evil to be drive out of the country. Before you throw around your criticism, Shahidon, do a little research. Any of the major publications which cover Venezuela will support what I say.

No comments: