Sunday, March 25, 2007

Paul Limbert died at 101 (1 cent)

But not before he wrote his autobiography at age 100. I read it, "Reliving A Century", perhaps faster than any book I have ever read. After all, how much time does one want to spend on Paul Limbert.

Well, let me tell you. It seems to me that he was quite a guy. He was from a small town in southeastern Pennsylvania, went to Franklin & Marshall College, was ordained as a minister, and was primarily interested in religious education, veering more towards the education side as his career advanced. His religious outlook was always broadly liberal and ecumenical. I assume that he could get along with, and respect, everyone. He got an advanced degree from Columbia, taught at the New School, and became president of Springfield College. Thoughout all of this, he was very active in YMCA affairs, traveling the world (and I mean the world) until he was well into his 90s.

He had a long marriage, children and grandchildren, and said one of his major accomplishments was presiding, or co-presiding, at the wedding of each of his grandchildren, including the one who married a Jewish girl.

He admits to getting old, saying that at 99 he was diagnosed with congestive heart failure, and in fact he died a year after this book was finished.

He comes across as the kind of person that everyone should try to be. So, although I never heard of him before I picked up this book, and although I ran through it in about two hours, I think one should want to spend a lot of time on Paul Limbert.

No comments: