Friday, March 30, 2007

Extra, Extra, Read All About It (4 cents)

Am I the only person concerned about the proliferation of newspaper vending boxes on DC streets? I don't object to those that offer useful publications, but many are there offering free advertising publications or purporting to provide publications that have ceased to exist. These tend to become used as trash cans or the like, and become dirty and unsightly. I have no idea what the law is regarding these boxes.

But clearly there are too many of them and their numbers are growing. For example, on L Street between Connecticut Avenue and 17th Streets (one block), there are 38 boxes. Last night, when we attended a movie about 40 blocks up Connecticut Avenue, I counted more than 20 boxes on that block.

One day, when the weather is nice and I feel like a long walk, I will pick a street (maybe Connecticut Avenue) and count the boxes from stem to stern.

No comments: