Thursday, August 23, 2007

Another Diversionary Posting (12 cents)

I am walking by Dupont Circle. Drivers entering or leaving the circle at New Hampshire, 19th or Connecticut are always dangerously confused. I am standing waiting to cross New Hampshire. The light favors the cars entering the circle from New Hampshire. There are three people on my side of the street, and about ten on the other side waiting to cross. A car stops, although it has a green light (actually a flashing yellow arrow, which is part of the problem). The woman waiting on my left waves at the driver, motioning her to go forward. She does.

I almost talk to the woman. I want to tell her that what she did was very dangerous. Even though the driver had the right to go, and the woman was waiting patiently on the sidewalk. Others, particularly those on the other side, might have taken the driver at her word, and started to cross on foot. The driver, undoubtedly at least somewhat confused, might have seen the waving hand and, without looking carefully to her right, might have accelerated. It could have been bad.

But I didn't, and she and I went walking separately, but in the same direction, until we came to Connecticut Avenue. Now, there were just the two of us. Now I am on her left. There is no one on the other side waiting to cross towards us. The light favors the cars coming onto Connecticut from the circle. But a car hesitates and in fact, the driver waves at us to go forward.

What do I do? I shake my head 'no', and wave the driver on.

My walking companion (who I am happy to say did not walk in front of the car) says to me: "I am glad you did that. People get so confused here. I wish more people would do that."

I didn't say anything (except for a muffled 'yeah'). I was too embarrassed.

No comments: