Thursday, August 30, 2007

What a Difference a Day Makes


A few weeks ago, I picked up a paperback copy of a book I had never heard of, written by an author totally unknown to me. "Baghdad Express" by Joel Turnipseed. In the early 1990s, Turnipseed, a philosophy student at the University of Minnesota and a lance corporal in the U.S. Marine Reserves, was called up for duty in the first Gulf War. The book is, in effect, his diary.

When I first bought the book at Books for America, I took it next door to Soho's and looked through it while having a sandwich and Diet Coke. I found it appallingly bad. I thought it was poorly written, disrespectful of everything, profane, and not very illuminating. I put it aside and did not look at it again.

Until last night. For some reason, I decided to read "Baghdad Express". I think it was because I was tired and the book didn't weigh very much, it was only 200 pages long, and at least I knew what I would find and knew I wouldn't be challenged.

Last night (and still today), I thought the book was insightful, well written, and quite illuminating. I thought it formed a good complement to recently read "Homage to Catalonia" by George Orwell. I would recommend it.

What a difference a day makes.

No comments: