Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Random (3 cents)

I was shocked a few months ago when I heard that David Halberstam had been killed in a random automobile accident. He had been invited to participate in a panel discussion at Stanford and was, I think, being driven from the campus either to his hotel or to the airport when his car (it was being driven by a graduate student, if I remember correctly) was hit by another. Random. Very sad. Very unexpected.

But it is not only Halberstam. I read in this morning's Examiner the following brief article: "An Arlington man was killed in a two car collision when a sport utility vehiclae ran a red light near the National Archives on Saturday night, according to D.C. police. Brian Ross Russell, 48, was a passenger in a taxi travelling on Constitution about 8 p.m. Saturday when a 2004 Toyota Four Runner traveling south on Ninth Street NW reportedly ran a red light and collided with the taxi....."

Random. It can happen to anyone, anytime, anywhere, anyway, I guess. But on Connecticut Avenue at 8 p.m. on a Saturday night in a taxi?

No comments: