Wednesday, August 22, 2007

The Spanish Chocolate Countdown (one cent)

I brought four large bars of Spanish dark chocolate for my office. Two are Torres chocolates, and two are Valor Chocolates. Each are 70% cacao.

My experience with this type of chocolate (which I take for medical purposes only, along with my red wine) is that it is very bitter (this is what qualifies it as medicinal, I believe).

But, lo and behold, the Spanish chocolate doe not share this characteristic. It is not bitter at all.

The first chocolate, tried on Friday, was a plain Torres bar. It was very very well received. The second chocolate, sampled on Monday, was a Torres bar with filberts. You cannot believe how well it was received. The third chocolate, sampled today, was a Valor bar with pieces of orange rind. It was received well enough, but clearly appears to be in third place.

But why? Is it because Torres makes better chocolate bars than Valor? Or is it that the orange rind not only does not add to the chocolate's popularity, but actually detracts from it.

Tomorrow should tell the tale, when we sample Valor's dark chocolate with almonds.

I will report back.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And the results are ... ???