Monday, May 23, 2005

Apologies to the Bard of Avon

But, in my first Europe 1962 post, I forgot that we (D______ and I) also went to Stratford-on-Avon (between our Chester and Cambridge stops).

Highlights were (1) the swans, of course, (2) Shakespeare's house and especially Anne Hathaway's cottage, and (3) seeing "The Taming of the Shrew" at the then-new main stage. It was sold out, but was here I realized for the first time (naive young man that I was) that you could always get into a sold out theater, because someone was always ready to give away extra tickets.

My memory tells me that Vanessa Redgreave played Katherine, but memories played tricks. As VR is now in DC playing Hecuba (is that right? what's Hecuba to her, or she to Hecuba?), maybe someone can ask her if she was Katherine in 1962.

At any rate, the play was extraordinary and, I believe, the first time I had seen REALLY exciting theater.

Cheers.

No comments: