Friday, June 24, 2005

Dry Cleaners

There seem to be two types of dry cleaners in Washington these days. There are the old fashioned dry cleaners, which are now all owned by Koreans, and which charge about $5 for the average piece of dry cleaning and take about 4 days to get your clothes done. And there are the "Zips" and "Dry Clean Depots", which charge less than $2 for each piece of dry cleaning, and have everything ready for you within 8 hours.

At $5 per item, dry cleaning is very expensive, which is why I left my friendly Korean dry cleaners, with easy parking, for Zips, with its Salvadorean staff, and convaluted parking lot. I pay less than half what I used to pay for dry cleaning.

In the window of a Korean dry cleaner, I saw a sign recently that said: "Only those who work in the $1.99 cleaning establishments know how inferior their work is."

I think that must be a correct statement. I sure cannot tell.

No comments: