Sunday, June 19, 2005

Europe 1962 (Addition due to faulty memory)

How could I have forgotten the bus ride that D______ and I took from Chester to Bristol (where we changed buses)?

From the beginning, by the way the driver spoke to oncoming passengers, we could tell this guy was a bit weird.

Second, I remember that after we left Chester, he took off his cap and flung on the shelf about the seats on the driver side.

Third, I remember random comments he made as we went along.

When we got to Bristol, we drove all around the city, and around, and around. We began to see the same buildings a second and third time. Finally, he stopped the bus and turned around and asked if anyone knew where the bus station was, saying that he had never driven this route before. Luckily, an elderly lady was able to move to the front of the bus and guide him there without any difficulty.

As we were heading into the station, he told us that he had just been transferred to this route because he had decided not to stop at a small village on his other route, since no one ever got on there. Of course, the day he skipped the town, there was a family waiting for the bus, and he was lucky to still have a job.

(Until now, I had never considered that a bus could get lost. Now, it is one of my major concerns. Even when I am not on a bus. In fact, as I write this, I fear that there are buses lost all over the world.)

Which he was worried about because before he pulled into the station, he stopped the bus again, got up, walked back, and looked for his cap (which he said was "required wear"), which he couldn't find. "All right", he said, "who pinched my cap?" Luckily, he found it. Otherwise, we would still be on that bus in front of the station in Bristol.

No comments: