Thursday, June 09, 2005

When the Nationals Play the Cardinals

I did not know what I would do when, a few weeks ago, the Nats played three games against the Cardinals in St. Louis. Which would be my team?

I was really conflicted. I want the Nationals to do well their first year, anticipating that a .500 year would be better than expected. And, of course, I wanted the Cardinals to win the World Series, so that people would forget the Red Sox sweep in 2004.

I decided that the Nationals should be the Cardinals (because the Cardinals would wind up in first place anyway), but that if the Cardinals beat the Nationals (as anticipated), I would not be too disappointed.

The Cards won two out of three, and that was OK. In facat, watching the series was better than OK, because I discovered that I wanted both teams to win all three games, making any hit, good fielding play, or pitching success to be terrific.

But now, things are getting more serious. The Nats have won 7 of their last 8, and are well in first place in the East, while the Cardinals have the best record in the entire National League. Maybe, they will play each other in the playoffs. Then what will I do? I don't think my old strategy will work.

I guess I will wait and see.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

the easy (and obvious) solution is to always just root for the CAPS.