Tuesday, June 28, 2005

So?

So, I was in Leesburg and needed a haircut. I passed a shopping center, and saw that one of the stores said 'Barber Shop' over the door. I went in, and was beckoned to by a woman, who appeared to be (and in fact was) Korean. She was, I would guess in her late 50s (I can say that without fear of offending her, since she said to me: "So are you retired?"), and has been in this country for 30 years, although she still speaks halting English (I am sure that, after 30 years in Korea, my Korean would be at least as halting)..

She asked me where my office was, and I told her, and she said that her husband had a restaurant a block from me, and I asked her what is was and she said "Soho". Soho is a small chain of buffet lunch spots, where you can, for about $5 a pound, by your lunch. The one near me, at the Farragut metro stop, I frequent quite a bit (frequent frequently). It has two hot buffet trays with about 10 choices each, one equally large cold buffet tray, a Mongolian barbecue, a sushi bar, a salad bar, drinks, desserts and a full deli counter where you can have a sandwich made. And the food is very passable.

It struck me as odd that her husband would be an owner of this obviously successful venture (she said that he owned Soho with their two, I think it was two, nephews), and she was still cutting hair, but perhaps she enjoyed keeping busy (or perhaps it was her shop).

At any rate, I told her the next time, I was at Soho, I would look up her husband. "What is his name", I said. And she answered "So".

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So...did you?

Anonymous said...

No mention of barber shops; interesting article nonetheless:
http://www.bizjournals.com/washington/stories/2001/07/30/newscolumn8.html

If So isn't around, you should ask for Ho.

Anonymous said...

Shorter link:
http://xrl.us/SohoCafe