Monday, December 11, 2006

Elevator Courtesy

I get on the elevator at the parking garage level with two other persons, who get off at the lobby. I am now alone, about to go to the ninth floor.

Across the way, I see a man holding what appears to be two weeks worth of newspapers, which is he balancing gingerly as he tries to push the elevator up button.

He looks my way, and I waive him towards me. He smiles and slowly and carefully walks in my direction.

The elevator door is about to close, he and I both know, but I give him a reassuring "don't worry" look, and put my hand on the "open door" button.

My glasses are in my pocket.

Unfortunately, the button that I am holding in so diligently is the "close door", not the "open door" button. I don't know that. The man with the newspapers does not know that.

He comes my way getting closer to the door, still smiling his "thank you very much smile" as the door closes in his face.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I do that all the time!!!!!!