Saturday, December 30, 2006

What happened to "Thank you, Madame #5"?

It is listed as one of the songs in Arena Stage's production of "She Loves Me", Act II, Scene 4, but it was skipped. I was looking forward to it, because my two favorite male characters in the play, Sipos and Arpad (a/k/a Lazlo) were singing. But it was not to be.

I was pretty well bored during the first act of this very polished performance of Bock and Harnick's musical about two people who work together and hate each other, each of whom as a mysterious lover with him they have only a relationship through letters, who eventually discover they have been writing to each other, and that they really do love each other. Pretty silly, you must admit.

Set in Budapest of the 1930s (who knows why), I thought the book was as shallow as can be, but during the second act, and starting with highly comic antics from the head waiter at a "romantic cafe", the play picked up until I was smiling and clapping at the end.

There were no weak links in the cast, but I particularly enjoyed J. Fred Shiffman as the head waiter (a once scene role), and Jim Corti as Ladislav Sipos. The pit orchestra was also excellent.

The only song I know is "She Loves Me", and I liked some of the novelty songs very much.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

it is set in budepest in the 30's because it is based on a hungarian play of the time.
in the late 30's or early 40's - can't remember - the play was made into a film with james stewart and margaret sullivan called the shop around the corner (i think that was name of the play too)