Friday, December 29, 2006

Epictetus ($1.00)

Epictetus was an ancient Greek philosopher, who said (in Greek, I assume): People are not disturbed by things, but by the view they take of them.

Sounds good to me.

This was quoted in a short biographical piece about Samuel Johnson, who kept going despite what was probably Tourette Syndrome. The article talks about cognitive behavior therapists and their assistance in helping people avoid what they call "catastrophic thinking". And how they are trying to achieve the attitude of people like Johnson (who spent some time calming his biographer James Boswell, who was prone to catastrophe.

Looking at the article as I write (Smithsonian Magazine), I see two ads. One is for shoes of a size as large as 15EEEEEE, the other for small group travel, which shows a portly smiling 70 something year old sitting on a park bench with a live panda.

I am afraid to look further.

No comments: