Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Chef Geoff is a Cheapskate

When I see a souvenir item, I always assume it is meant to be distributed as a souvenir. So last night, after supper with one of my college roommates, the waitress at Chef Geoff's on New Mexico Avenue brought the bill, took our credit cards, and came back with the typical three copies and a Chef Geoff's pen. I signed the credit card slip, giving a 20% tip, and held on to the pen.

The waitress said: "are you going to give the pen back, or do you want to keep it?" It was a friendly question and I gave an equally friendly answer: "thought I'd keep it".

She then surprised me by saying: "ok, but I just want you to know that every time someone takes a pen, we get charged for it."

"You get charged for the pen?", I said, incredulously. "Yes. $1.19".

Chef Geoff is a cheapskate. I gave back the pen. Won't eat there any more, though.

No comments: