Sunday, June 11, 2006

Michelle Asks About Prague

She is correct. On the Israel trip, I did finish the 'Travelers' Tales Guide' book: "Prague and the Czech Republic". Although I had read the vast majority of it earlier.

It is an extraordinary book.

It is one of a series of anthologies written by and for travelers to various countries and cities across the world. Whether the others are as good, I don't know. I do know that the others cannot be any better.

There are 42 separate first party stories of traveling to, or living in, Prague or other parts of the Czech Republic. Almost everyone of them is a gem, both informative, humorous, and individual.

We spent several days in Prague last summer; I had been there once before during its dark Communist days. I noted many things about Prague on these short visits. Every single one of them is noted in one or more of these short pieces.

I won't even try to describe the stories. You have to read them yourselves. I will say that, as I ended the book, I thought to myself: the only thing they missed was the Velkopopovicky dark beer that we discovered and liked so much.

And there it was, on page 301 of this 302 page book. "They can't afford to go to the old vinamas in their own neighborhoods any more...only tourists can afford that place, Anna will say with contempt, as if she never wanted to go there anyway, thought it was once her pub, where she could get a glass of Volkopopopvicky Kozel for a dime."

As I said, this book is perfect.

No comments: