Saturday, June 24, 2006

Sound Travels Faster Than Light?

I know that is not what is normally taught, but how else do you explain the following:

Last night the Nationals played the Orioles. The game was televised on Comcast sports, the normal network that televises Orioles games. It was on the radio on 1500 AM, the normal Nats station.

I decided to watch the game with the sound off, and turn the radio on so that I had announcers biased towards DC and not Baltimore.

To my suprise, I found that the radio cast was about five seconds in front of the telecast. In other words, on the radio that would say "a fast ball, strike two" when, on the television, the pitcher had not yet begun his wind up.

Needless to say, I had to give up my preferred plan and listen to the Orioles announcers.

Why is this the case? Do radio waves travel faster than live cable tv signals? Or do the Orioles want to make sure that no one listens to the Nats announcers?

No comments: