Saturday, April 02, 2005

Robert Mitchum, John Wayne and Natalie Wood

What do they have in common? In my mind, their common characteristics were two. First, they were enormous movie stars. Second, they could not act.

How can this be?

In the same vein, what about Tony Bennett? Everyone loves Tony Bennett? Don't they care that he cannot (and apparently never has been able to) carry a tune?

And, finally, there is Larry King. How is it that Larry King is such a respected interviewer? His questions are pedestrian. He has little ability to ask follow up questions based on the answers of his interviewees. And, if he understands anything about the topics being discussed on his show, he usually hides it completely.

I know I sound like I am belittling these folks, who I am sure are/were terrific individuals and good to their mothers, but I gotta get this out on the table. It's been on my mind, and I'd like to know the answer.

No comments: